Please follow the steps outlined below to prepare the final manuscript of your paper for publication in the conference proceedings. Note that the proceedings are made directly from the camera-ready copy supplied by the authors.
(1) ALL MANUSCRIPTS MUST BE IN ENGLISH AND PREPARED IN A PDF FILE.
(2) PRINTING YOUR PAPER. Print your properly-formatted text on high-quality, 8.5-by-11-inch white printer paper. A4 paper is also acceptable, but please leave the extra 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) at the BOTTOM of the page. If the last page of your paper is only partially filled, arrange the columns so that they are evenly balanced, if possible, rather than having one long column.
(3) PAGE NUMBERING. Number your pages lightly, in pencil, in the upper right-hand corners of the BACKS of the pages. Use one of the following numbering formats: 1/10, 2/10, ....; or 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc. Please do NOT write page numbers (or anything else) on the fronts of the pages. Do NOT use your word-processing or typesetting software to paginate your pages. Note that unnumbered pages that get out of order can be very difficult to put back in order!
(4) FORMATTING YOUR PAPER. All printed material, including text, illustrations, and charts, must be kept within a print area 6-7/8 inches (approx. 17.5 cm) wide by 8-7/8 inches (approx. 22.5 cm) long. Do not write or print anything outside the pri nt area.
A format sheet with marked margins and placement guides is available from the IPCCC web site as a PDF file or a postscript file. This sheet contains lines and boxes showing the margins and print areas. If you hold it and your printed page up to light, you can easily check your margins to see if your print area fits within the space allowed.
(5) PAGE AND COLUMN LAYOUT. Start the first page in a one-column format. Center your title about 3 lines down from the normal top of the print area. Follow the title with two blank lines. The author name(s) and affiliation(s) are next, centered beneath the title and followed by two blank lines.
Your abstract and the remainder of the paper are to be in two-column format (except for figures or tables that may span both columns if necessary). If the last page is not filled, please divide the data into two equal columns.
Columns in the two-column format are to be 3-1/4 inches wide (approx. 8.25 cm), with a 3/8-inch (approx. 0.9 cm) space between columns, for a total data area width of 6 7/8 inches (approx. 17.5 cm). The length of the data area of any page must not exceed 8 7/8 inches (approx. 22.5 cm).
(6) TYPE STYLE AND SIZE OF TEXT. Normal text is to be single spaced in 10-point Times-Roman (or similar font), with 12-point interline spacing, in the two-column format. The first line of each paragraph is to be indented approximately 1/4 inch (approx . 0.7 cm), and the entire text is to be fully justified that is, flush left and flush right. Please do not place additional line spacing between paragraphs. Figure and table captions should be Helvetica 10-point boldface. Callouts should be Helvet ica 9-point non-boldface.
(7) TITLE AND HEADINGS. The main title (on the first page) should begin approximately 1-3/8 inches (3.5 cm) from the top edge of the page. The title should be in Times-Roman 14-point boldface centered over both columns. In the main title, please ini tially capitalize nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs; do not capitalize articles, coordinate conjunctions, and prepositions (unless the title begins with such a word). Initially capitalize only the first word in first-, second-, and third-ord er headings. Leave two blank lines before the author names(s) and affiliation(s).
AUTHOR NAME(S)/AFFILIATION(S). The author name(s) and affiliations(s) are to be centered in Times-Roman 12-point non-boldface. Multiple authors may be shown in a two- or three-column format, with their affiliations below their respective names. Incl ude e-mail addresses if possible. Leave two blank lines before your abstract.
ABSTRACT HEADING. The abstract appears at the top of the left-hand column, below the author information. The abstract heading (i.e. the word "Abstract") is to be 11-point boldface, initially capitalized and centered within the column. Notice that th e abstract heading is unnumbered.
FIRST-ORDER HEADINGS. First-order headings (for example, 1. Introduction) are to be Times-Roman 12-point boldface, flush left, with one blank line before, and one blank line after.
SECOND-ORDER HEADINGS. Second-order headings (for example, 3.1. Initial results) are to be Times-Roman 11-point boldface, flush left, with one blank line before, and one after. If you require a THIRD-ORDER HEADING (we discourage it), then it is to be in Times-Roman 10-point boldface, preceded by one blank line, and followed by a period and text on same line.
(8) ABSTRACTS. The abstract should be approximately 150 or fewer words, italicized, in 10-point Times-Roman using fully-justified text. Please leave two blank lines between the abstract and the heading of your first section.
(9) SECOND AND FOLLOWING PAGES. The second and following pages should begin 1 inch (2.54 cm) from the top edge of the paper. On all pages, the bottom margin should be 1-1/8 inches (2.86 cm) from the bottom edge of the page for 8.5-by-11-inch paper; for A4 paper, the bottom margin should be approximately 1-5/8 inches (4.13 cm) from the bottom edge of the page.
(10) FIGURES AND TABLES. Figure and table captions should be Helvetica 10-point boldface. Callouts should be Helvetica 9-point non-boldface. Figures and tables must be numbered separately. Figure captions go below the figures while table titles are centered above the tables.
(11) ILLUSTRATIONS, GRAPHS, AND PHOTOGRAPHS. All graphics should be centered. Illustrations, graphs, and photographs may fit across both columns, if necessary. Your artwork must be in place in the article, preferably included in the text file rather than pasted up. If it must be pasted up, use rubber cement to affix the artwork in place.
Although halftones can be shot from color prints, black- and-white photos are preferable. Please supply the best quality photographs and illustrations possible. The quality of the book cannot be better than the originals provided.
(12) USE OF TAPE. Do not place cellophane tape over any part of your text or graphics. (Cellophane tape may distort or obliterate what it covers, and it retains fingerprints and dirt smudges.)
(13) COLOR. The use of color on interior pages (that is, pages other than the cover) is prohibitively expensive. Consequently, we publish interior pages in color only when it is specifically requested and budgeted for by the conference organizers. Thu s, you must get the permission of the General Chair if you wish to use color in your paper.
(14) FOOTNOTES. Use footnotes sparingly and place them at the bottom of the column in which they are referenced (not full-width across two columns ). Use Times-Roman 8-point type with 10-point interline spacing for footnotes. To help readers, avoid foo tnotes altogether and include necessary peripheral observations in your text (within parentheses, if you prefer, as in this sentence).
(15) REFERENCES. List and number all bibliographical references at the end of your paper in 9-point Times-Roman, with 10-point interline spacing. When referenced within the text, enclose the citation number in square brackets (for example, ).
(16) COPYRIGHT FORMS. You must include your signed IEEE copyright release form when you submit your finished paper. We MUST have this form before your paper can be published in the proceedings. The copyright form is available in HTML, as a PDF file, or as a text file. Additional information about this form can be found here.
Questions not answered in these guidelines may be directed to the Publications Chair, Guoliang Xue (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In addition to the above, you are required to email the PDF file
of your paper to
Please use ipc123.pdf as your file name, where 123 is your paper
number (contained in the acknowledgement message to your submission).
IPCCC2002 Publications Chair
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-5406
Extra page charges should be paid in the forms of money order, bank draft, of a personal check drawn from a US bank. Make your check payable to IPCCC2002.
In addition to the above, you are required to email the PDF file of your paper to email@example.com. Please use ipc123.pdf as your file name, where 123 is your paper number (contained in the acknowledgement message to your submission).
These guidelines were last updated on 12/16/2001.
Back to Author Information page